Custom map: Fields of Ypres

Capitanloco6

Custom map: Fields of Ypres

Post by Capitanloco6 » Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:53 am

I present you my first custom map, Fields of Ypres. I created this map for myself, but I thought that by posting it here I could get some constructive advice. Pictures and sga in the rar file.

Points on which I could use help:

-I created a .options file to give the map three possible atmospheres. However, ingame it is only possible to use the default one.
-Although the map is somewhat longer than the average 2v2 map, it is categorized as "small", and I don't know how to change it.
-I followed some tutorials to make a minimap, but the one you can see in the selection screen is compressed as hell.
-I can't seem to make movement blockers invisible (I had to cut them out from the 1.0 v).
- I can't save replays of this map, hence why I haven't made a loadingscreen yet.
-Any criticism on gameplay, map layout and/or design are welcome.

Download:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/mkc2h ... +Ypres.rar

flak509

Re: Custom map: Fields of Ypres

Post by flak509 » Sat Sep 13, 2014 11:34 pm

Hey Capitanloco6

A very cool map you have made, me and a mate just played it. Forced us to attack head on, there was no sneaking around to steal an objective.
We faced a tide of german troops and tanks. As luck would have it, the AI didnt get Beutepanzer, so after a bit they where down to armored cars which helped a bit

I hope you feel like making more maps

Capitanloco6

Post by Capitanloco6 » Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:27 pm

Thanks! I'm glad you enjoyed it. Last time I played the map the AI really loved A7Vs, forcing me to really invest in AT guns and save ammo for the incredibly powerfull RAF airstrike.

The map sill needs a lot of refinement, but due to university I probably won't be able to work on it until after the final exams.

flak509

Post by flak509 » Sat Sep 20, 2014 4:22 pm

not to worry mate its a good map already

ive had a look at the world builder and i was trying to open a custom map, but i get an error:

About not using valid paths, then it suggest's COH/ww2/scenarios/mp as a valid path but it matters not what path the file is in it wont open

Capitanloco6

Post by Capitanloco6 » Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:36 am

I'm afraid I can't help you. I just barely know the basics of worldbuilder, and I've never found that error myself. Your best bet would be asking in the relicnews forums (http://forums.relicnews.com/forumdispla ... -of-Heroes) as they are still somewhat active and seem friendly enough.

CoHtaku

Post by CoHtaku » Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:30 pm

Hello Capitanloco6,

I just tried your map, and gameplay-wise it's very good; The expert British players handed my arse to me in the beginning, but with a Minenwerfer and some rifle grenades, coupled with invaluable assistance from my ally, i managed to break them. Later in the game the Britons pushed us back with Whippets which were difficult to counter since most of my Landser had the rifle grenades, but upgrading them with Sappenpanzer and hitting the tanks with arty seemed to do the trick. :D

Aesthetically speaking, though, the map is very incomplete. It needs a hell of a lot more detail to compete with the official maps, and the trenches in particular don't look very good (they also don't provide much cover). I like how the middle of the map is very open though, which encourages the player to build their own trenches (something which i've never really done, as defensive play is usually tantamount to suicide in CoH gameplay).

Cheers, CoHtaku.

Edit: I just noticed your base defences are assigned to the world.

Siegfrid

Post by Siegfrid » Sun Jul 03, 2016 4:38 pm

Hello,
From the comments I have read this map looks very good.....I have one slight problem..... :oops: where or in which folder do I have ti put the map file?
I am really new at this...
Thank you very much for your help
Siegfrid
Siegfrid

Higgins

Post by Higgins » Mon Jul 04, 2016 12:28 pm

I´m not sure, but i think it was documents/My Games/Company of Heroes Relaunch/ww2/scenarios
First in the line of fire, first into hostile land.

Siegfrid

Post by Siegfrid » Mon Jul 04, 2016 3:39 pm

I do thank you very much. I will try that! :)
Cordialement
Siegfrid