A.W.M. A.N.Z.A.C. biscuit recipe

CoHtaku

A.W.M. A.N.Z.A.C. biscuit recipe

Postby CoHtaku » Thu May 19, 2016 12:39 pm

G'day cobbers!

I'll be going offline in a few days, but i thought i'd leave you with my recipe for A.N.Z.A.C. biscuits - There are numerous ways people like to make them, but this version is from the Australian War Memorial; They all have the same principle, though, which is to make biscuits that last a long time so that they can be baked by wives and mothers and sent to the troops overseas (which is why there's never any egg).

Ingredients:

• 1 cup each of plain flour, sugar, rolled oats and desiccated coconut.
  • 4oz of butter (not margarine!).
  • 1 tablespoon of golden syrup.
  • 2 tablespoons of boiling water.
  • 1 teaspoon of carbonate of soda.

Method:

• 1) Grease several biscuit trays (you'll probably need many of these - i'll tell you why below) and preheat the oven to 180 degrees.

• 2) Combine the flour, sugar, oats and coconut.

• 3) Melt together the butter and golden syrup.

• 4) Combine the boiling water and carbonate of soda, then add it to the melted butter/golden syrup mixture.

• 5) Mix your melted mixture in with the dry ingredients.

• 6) When it's nicely combined, drop teaspoons of it onto the trays, leaving plenty of room between them for spreading (about an arms length, like soldiers felled in, as they will expand quite a lot - unless of course you want a single giant biscuit :D ).

• 7) Put them in the oven, baking for about 10-15mins or until they appear nicely golden-brown.

• 8) After removing them from the oven, put in the next lot (you won't have room in the oven to do them all at once), and leave the cooked ones to cool for a few minutes before removing them. You may need to reuse the tray again after you take them off, because you likely won't have enough trays to put all the mixture on (there will most likely be enough room for only a few biscuits on each tray, and there is enough mixture to make a good number of biscuits).

And there you have it, some nice delicious biscuits for yourself or a loved one serving overseas! They're quite easy to make, but you'll have to be sure to get the measurements right for the ingredients because they won't turn out properly otherwise (when they're cooked you should be able to tell if you don't have enough of 1 thing or too much of another, so you can compensate next time).

Also, try to get each biscuit about the same size, otherwise you'll have some burnt or undercooked ones, and also be sure to keep an eye on them because they cook pretty quickly and therefore can easily burn if you're not careful.

Happy baking!
- CoHtaku.

Return to “Off-topic”