Chemical Weapons

German Imperial Army and the Imperial & Royal Army of Austria-Hungary
Schlammschlachter

Chemical Weapons

Post by Schlammschlachter » Wed May 28, 2014 1:03 am

In "Materialschlacht" doctrin I miss Buntschiessen/Green Cross Bombardement.
I can activate it in the tech tree but nothing else.

Technically btw.:
It is right that Green Cross/Grünkreuz was in the beginning a mixture from Chlorin and Phosgen,
like the british "Whitestar" Gas (in my german version it is wrong translated with "Weißkreuz".
Weißkreuz/White Cross were non lethal Tear Gases)

Later in the war, so in 1918, Grünkreuz/Green Cross were nearly pure Phosgen.

Now to "Buntschiessen":
Buntschiessen was a combination of Blau Kreuz/Blue Cross Weiß Kreuz/White Cross and Grün Kreuz/Green Cross and when available Gelb Kreuz/Mustard Gas.

Why they did it:
Blau Kreuz/ Blue Cross were cyanhydric acid compounds. The charcoal filter of gas masks can`t neutralize this compounds as well as other compounds. The filters were rapidly exhausted during a attack so that in combination with Weißkreuz/White Cross/Tear Gas the soldiers pull up their masks.
Thats why Blau Kreuz/Blue Cross compounds normally called in German "Maskenbrecher". Can't find any english word for perhaps "Mask Breaker"?

don_Durandal

Re: Chemical Weapons

Post by don_Durandal » Thu May 29, 2014 8:45 pm

Buntschiessen adds chemical shells to the off-map artillery of the officer and buildings. It does not add a new ability.

About history, well, that's the really simplified version. The overwhelming majority of people think that "mustard gas" was the only combat chemical used in WW1, and most of the time they don't even know its actual effects (mixing them up with suffocants, like chlorine). Ingame we had to simplify that to recognisable and easy to learn mechanics.

In 1916 Green Cross shells were at first filled with diphosgene (Perstoff), except some 150mm shells being filled with xylyl bromide (T-Stoff) mixed with methylethylketone or bromacetone.
Phosgene shells only appeared in the German army at the end of 1916, and at first only for Minenwerfer; German engineers were reluctant to use this chemical as it was difficult and dangerous to fill shells with, but massive use by the French in 1916 convinced them otherwise.
From 1917 on, 7.7cm, 10.5cm and 15cm Green Cross shells were filled with diphosgene or bromoacetone (B-Stoff).

The first (non-Minenwerfer) phosgene shells appeared in April 1917 and were called Green Cross I. They were filled with 75% phosgene and 25% chloropicrin (Klopp).
In September 1917 came the introduction of the Green Cross II shells (they were only made in 15cm and 21cm calibre), filled with 60% phosgene, 25% diphosgene and 15% diphenylchlorarsine (Clark I). That combination was intended to have the same effect as Buntschiessen.
Then in Mars 1918 appeared the Green Cross III shells filled with 50% ethyldichloroarsine (Dick), 30% methyl dibromoarsine and... I don't remember the rest.
The only pure phosgene shells were 15cm versions introduced in June 1918, along with full diphosgene and diphosgene+chloropicrin ones.

Yellow Cross shells were rarely used in combination with the other ones due to their specific tactical usage. Green and blue cross were for aggressive engagements against concentration of troops, notably on a zone you want your own units to eventually take, whereas yellow cross shells were for area denial (either defensively during a retreat, to create flanking corridors during an attack or to suppress enemy artillery positions).
Note also that Buntkreuzschiessen wasn't one specific bombardment pattern, but rather a whole doctrine of engagement with set of guidelines for shell-type concentration depending on target and tactic. For instance, it included new tactics like "gas raid" (Gasüberfall) and "swath bombardment" (Schwadenschiessen) with green + blue cross, and "contamination bombardment" (Verseuchungsschiessen) with yellow cross, all for different purposes.
“a poor model can be saved by a great texture, but a bad texture will ruin even the most detailed model.” - James O'Donnell, Forgotten Hope mod artist